Common Questions

Q: I have suffered an injury in a school accident. Do I qualify to make a school accident claim?

You may be eligible to make a school accident claim if you have suffered injuries whilst in school due to no fault.

For example, you may be eligible to make a claim if you tripped on a footpath or slipped on a wet floor within the school premises. But, before you can make a claim, you will need to prove that there were no warning signs in case of a wet floor or the footpath was defective which left it in a dangerous condition.

Another example is that you suffered injuries by a defective piece of school equipment. This can include chairs, desks, tables, etc. If the chair was broken, it can collapse and if the desk you were using had a sharp edge, chances are that it can cause cuts.

In schools, children should always be supervised properly by the staff.

If you are unsure whether or not to make a school accident claim, you can get in touch with our solicitors. School accident solicitors can provide you with the best legal advice and help you put up a claim for compensation if you have suffered injuries due to no fault. To get in touch with our solicitors, simply fill out our quick online claim form and request a call back.

Q: What should I do following a school accident?

To be able to make a successful claim for compensation, you will need to prove that you suffered injuries due to the negligence of another person (in this case, it can be the college, school or nursery where the accident took place).

Following the injury or accident, it is important to report the accident to a person of authority. This can include the head teacher, teacher, supervisor, principal, etc. Also ensure that the details of the accident are accurately noted in the accident book. If there were witnesses present at the time of the accident, take their names and addresses.

If the accident was caused by defective equipment or pavement, it is recommended to take photographs of the defect with a ruler to show how deep or high the defect was.

You can also claim compensation for the financial losses you incurred as a result of the accident. To do this successfully, you must retain receipts of expenses such as travel expenses, prescription costs, medical bills, etc.